Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.- Gustave Flaubert

Because I'm so enthralled with this world of blogging, I decided to post some pictures from our trip. 

Saturday Travels

 Our flight from Houston to San Pedro Sula was two and a half hours plus an insane amount of taxiing.  Funny story, as we were waiting to take off, a luggage car comes driving up to the side of the plane.  This luggage cart was carrying suitcases with little red ribbons tied onto them, which was the thing we used to identify what luggage was ours.  Thankfully, all of our luggage arrived in Honduras. 

Beautiful green Honduras!
 My twin sister and I waiting in customs. We're not really twins. I'm five years older. While we were in U.S.A. Customs, the "check-out person" (not sure of the actual title but customs reminded me of Wal-Mart checkout lanes so we'll go with that title) thought Brittany was the older "twin." 
 By this time, we had been awake for twelve hours and it had only passed lunchtime. We were tired but couldn't exactly sleep due to the desire to talk to these beautiful Honduran kids. Above is Cokie, she lives with Rhonda Jackson at Destino Del Reino.  She's only in fifth grade but God has already placed a call of missions on her life. 
 This is David (Dah-veed). His smile is cute. His laugh is cute. His face is cute. And he's a stinker. 


Sunday Morning

We chose to travel at a very interesting time. Not only was it Spring Break, it was also Daylight Savings Time.  Honduras is smart and doesn't do this.  However, our smart phones decided to change.  On Sunday morning, we all woke up an hour early giving us plenty of time to goof off and take pictures. 



 The quiet street should have been a sign to us that it was incredibly early. 
 These are two of my favorite people in the entire world. 

 



 Let me tell you a little something about the food. We were not roughing it.  We had amazing pancakes, fresh fruit, flour tortillas, corn tortillas, beans, rice, papas (my brother's favorite word in Spanish), fried chicken, roasted chicken, real bacon, cat sausage (not really, I promise), eggs, quesadillas, Honduran Tacos (completely trumps the taco you're thinking of), and Honduran variations of America's favorites such as egg rolls, stir fry, and spaghetti. 
Funny story about the food, my brother learned the word "papas."  One of the nights, Maribel (the cook) made these EXCELLENT potatoes.  She came out of the kitchen and said something in Spanish that no one caught because we were a group of gringos with three Spanish speaking people. Somewhere in her conversation, my brother heard the words "mas papas."  Immediately, his head popped up and exclaimed, "Did she just say 'mas papas?'" He looked at her and said the only other Spanish he knew, "SI!" After that, she served us potatoes almost every night. No one complained. 

Our team led Sunday School that morning at the Destino church.  They learned about the armor of God and how to protect themselves from Satan's attacks. 
In my personal story, while in Honduras, I was able to get a good grasp on the Shield of Faith.  One night, in our discussion group, it dawned on me that in battle, a shield is constantly in motion, deflecting arrows, swords, spears, and other life-threatening objects.  In the same way, our faith is constantly having to re-shift and re-focus.  I may have faith that God will bring to me my future husband in His timing, suddenly, I have to re-focus my faith to a completely different situation such as having faith in the healing of a friend, or having faith that God will protect you.  The only way to aptly move around to block the blows of Satan is to live by the Spirit so you know exactly where you're supposed to move. 



That's all for now! More pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment